Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Solving Puzzles

My roommate has these wooden puzzles that sit on our end table. I love them! I've always enjoyed doing puzzles, and it's great to just have something to do with my hands when I'm sitting around. The best part about them is everybody grabs them when they come in, and they're great conversation starters. We've been hosting a lot of get togethers at our home lately, and these puzzles have been consuming my thoughts as countless people ask me which puzzles I can do and for tips on solving them.

As I respond to these queries, I can't help but think about other puzzles in my life, and feel grateful for them. It would certainly be easier and less frustrating if I guided the hands of my friends and helped them complete the puzzles. The thing is, they wouldn't remember how to do it the next time, and they would likely not learn much from the process. It is the same for me. I am sure God could figuratively put his hands over mine, helping me to solve the puzzles in my life. It would sure be easier! Yet, I find myself feeling gratitude for the difficulty of solving those puzzles. As I solve them on my own, with occasional tips from friends, family, and God, I am enabled to remember them and continue learning from them.

One friend is particularly gifted at puzzle solving. He sat down and worked through puzzles in a few minutes it had taken me about an hour to figure out the first time. This opened conversation about other puzzles, and he mentioned he could solve a Rubik's cube in just a few minutes. Ever the skeptic, I asked him to bring one over the next day and show me. He wasn't lying! He explained the logic of the cube to me, solved it multiple times, and showed me other patterns you can create with it. I've always thought Rubik's cubes are unsolvable, but now that they have been unveiled in some ways, I feel like I could probably solve one if given enough time. I'll get on that.

Again, I'm thinking about puzzles in my life. A few days ago I would have told you some were unsolvable. No more! Some things just take time, and I am grateful for the time I'm given to patiently solve the puzzles in my life. I'll get on that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment