Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Life Stories

A man came into my office today to install a software program on my office mate's computer. While he sat and installed the program, this man I had never met before proceeded to tell me his life story. I now know all about where he's traveled, his health history, and the bladder cancer he was surprised with this summer. I know how they diagnosed it, what surgery entailed and what treatment now entails. I know how many people are in his family and where he fits and why he worries about his older brothers. It only took about 10 minutes to install the program!

Last night I was standing around with some friends after an activity, and gave my friend a ride to her car. We ended up sitting in my car and talking for 2 hours! And she did all the talking. I was amazed by how much detail she remembered about the story she was telling me--dates, times, the particulars of text messages and phone calls. I loved listening to her story, and I loved offering her the support she needed.

I met another girl recently, and we've already had 3 conversations like the one I had with my friend last night. Without knowing anything about me, she's opened her heart to me and trusted me with stories she won't tell others. I am humbled by this trust. I love listening to her stories and offering needed support to her! I now count her as a friend.

Another office mate sat next to me today as this man installed the software program. After he left, I asked my friend why people always tell me their life stories. He said it's because I ask genuine caring questions when others offer sympathy but don't leave conversations open. He told me this is a gift. Again, I am humbled by this gift. I believe it is a gift each of us can develop.

I love being trusted with the stories of others. I learn so much from them and grow so much from these kinds of conversations! Perhaps I am able to offer a kind, caring, and listening ear to people who need it most, but I think I gain far more from listening to their stories than they gain by sharing them. I am grateful for my God-given gift of listening, and hope and pray I will always be able to offer support to both strangers and friends while I learn and grow from the stories they tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment