Friday, July 22, 2011

Be Still and Listen

There is so much noise in this world! It is deafening at times. Sometimes I plug my ears when I'm in a room full of people listening to music, talking on cell phones, visiting with each other, etc. I really do! There is peace in quiet. God is in the silence.

I wonder what it used to be like before personal media devices. What did this world sound like before TV, Internet, and cell phones? Were people innately closer with God? With each other? Was it easier to listen to the whisperings of the Spirit and receive personal revelation? I wonder what it could be like now if we calmed down.

I love intentionally dampening the noise in my life. I don't have or want a facebook account. If we're friends, call me! Let's do lunch. :) My roommate and I don't have cable TV or Internet access in our home. When I live somewhere with these things, I try my hardest to ignore them (not always successfully). I use my cell phone to communicate with others via phone calls and text messaging. I take pictures too, but that's it. And I don't always have my phone with me. If I'm with someone else who has a phone, or somewhere I'll have to turn it off anyway, I usually leave my phone at home. It's my tool, not my captor. So don't be offended if it takes me some time to get back to you!

Emotions and stress deafen me too. When I am feeling anxious or overwhelmed it is hard for me to focus on anything other than how anxious or overwhelmed I feel. When I can't focus on anything else, I am unable to hear and see the people around me, and I am unable to hear God speaking with me. This is harder for me, but I'm working on it. Daily exercise, eating healthy, and visiting with loved ones help me to keep the volume down.

I'm on a mission to intentionally and proactively keep my life, inside and out, quiet enough to be able to hear and respond to people and to God. Yes, I love the silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment