Friday, July 15, 2011

Happy, Barefoot, Vegan

I have always been blessed with a deeply rooted understanding of who I am: a daughter of God. Deeply entrenched in my religious beliefs as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (www.lds.org; www.mormon.org), I know and believe each of us are sons and daughters of God with missions to fulfill in this life. This knowledge has always defined me, yet I have been and continue to be pulled by the forces of this world we share. With God, I always come off conqueror.

I'm too fat. I'm not pretty enough. I'm not smart enough. I don't work hard enough. I'll never do anything worth doing. People hate me. I can't do that. My values are messed up. I'll be happier if I lower my standards. If I do it just this once it can't hurt. Spoken, implied, or imagined, these are messages I've received from the world and sometimes believed. They aren't true.

Happy. I know I am happiest when I surround myself with friends and family who love and support me as I am. Living life with intention and excitement gives me joy. Most of all, I know my truest source of joy is my God. As I love and serve Him and each of you, my happiness blossoms exponentially and bursts. I love how contagious happiness can be. I love how much power happiness has.

Barefoot. Walking down a forest path, climbing trees, becoming lost in yoga and meditation, enjoying long road trips, walking around my house, playing my Grandpa's guitar, running to the mailbox in the dead of winter, sitting by a campfire, creating a fire with nothing but sticks, playing games in parks with friends and family, balancing on a slackline: all things I've done barefoot. Being barefoot is freeing to me. It grounds me, reminding me of my own divine worth as I reconnect with Mother Nature and the lessons she teaches.

Vegan. A more recent discovery. God sent, I stumbled across a principle that has changed my life: bioindividuality (www.integrativenutrition.com). My body is unlike anyone else's, and laws of health are personalized just for me. When I love my body, it loves me back, and my body is happiest when I'm eating vegan. No, I don't necessarily think the world should join me in this, but don't be afraid to try it! Take the time and initiative to test things out and listen to your body. It's worth it. My health affects every aspect of my life and being.

As I walk through life, learning and growing and watching others battle demons I've won, my desire to share my lessons multiplies. I don't know if this blog will help anyone, but I hope it will. I know it will help me. Lessons are solidified as I write them down, so if that is the only good that comes from this blog, so be it! I will write.

1 comment:

  1. Although I don't really understand the whole vegan thing, I have to admit . . . I have never seen you so happy, healthy, and looking fantastic!!
    You are an example to me!!

    ReplyDelete