Saturday, October 22, 2011

Train Wreck

There was a tragedy this past week in the town I live in, which hit pretty close to home. Three young girls, who attended the school my roommate teaches at, were killed in a train accident. I was grateful to be able to play the supporting role for her as she struggled with the emotions of this week. As I did so, my thoughts lingered on train wrecks and life choices.

The phrase, "What a train wreck!" has taken on all new meaning for me. I am now poignantly aware of the tragedy, emotion, and fallout of a train wreck. It is not something that affects only the lives of those involved, but every life that touches upon the story. It has touched my roommate's life. It has touched my life. It has touched the life of everyone I tell the story to. Now it has touched yours. So what now? What do we take from such a story? How do families and communities move on? I don't know. But I know how I will move on.

I am reminded the Lord will call me home when He needs me home. I don't know when that will be or how much time I have left on this earth to make a difference. I am determined to make a difference now! I am determined to live every day as if it's my last--no regrets.

I am reminded of the value of my relationships with everyone around me. I don't know how long I will have them for. I am determined to love and cherish the people in my life. I will not hold back my love and friendship. I will do everything in my power to let people know I love them and am grateful for the lessons they teach me every day.

I am reminded to reach beyond myself. So many people are dealing with train wrecks in their lives! I am blessed with a good family, good friends, a good education, a good job, a strong testimony, and so much more. I have the capacity to look beyond myself, reach out in love, and play the supporting role more often and more effectively. I am determined to do so.

I am reminded to live in the present. To cherish each moment, to make needed changes now, to stop doing what I should not be doing, to keep doing what I should be doing, and to start doing everything else I should be doing.

These are lessons I've learned before. These are things I know. How easy it is to get busy and forget what matters most! I thank God for this reminder.


No comments:

Post a Comment